The RØDE NT-USB Mini appears to solve an issue faced by a sizeable number of self producers. That of obtaining studio quality recording directly into a computer or tablet.
Condenser microphones, which is the style favoured by studio recordists, are often expensive, and not everyone wants to play around with audio recorders that take the traditional 3-pin XLR style balanced audio interface favoured by professionals. RØDE has spotted a gap in the market and has produced the NT-USB Mini, a compact studio quality USB microphone.
The new mic has a number of notable features, which includes;
- A high quality condenser capsule.
- Directional cardioid pickup pattern to help reject room sound and other unwanted issues.
- Smooth frequency response to help create pleasant sounding audio in a wide range of circumstances.
- A built in pop filter for reducing plosives, something that is often left to post production or a physical filter in front of the mic.
- A detachable magnetic desk stand.
- An integrated 360-degree swing mount so that the mic is easy to position on your desktop, or a mic stand or studio arm.
- Class compliant USB output so that it works with a wide variety of tablets and computers with the minimal of hassle.
- Studio grade headphone amplifier with precision level control and switchable zero-latency monitoring. Highly desired to minimise ‘echo’ while monitoring the output.
- Steel and reinforced nylon resin construction with a matte black finish.
The mic is designed for anyone who may be involved in podcasting, voiceovers, gaming and live streaming, even singing and instrument recording. As a result it will suit a wide variety of users. With full RF shielding you are protected from unwanted interference too, something that cannot be said for many other USB mics that the Vibliotech has come across in the past.
All audio is passed through studio-quality 24-bit, 48Khz A/D converters, which should help to keep the quality high throughout. Not only that but the NT-USB Mini also features a studio-grade headphone amplifier and a 3.5mm headphone output.
The RØDE NT-USB Mini is available now and can be picked up for £99. Pricey? For a microphone of this type and apparent quality, that’s an absolute bargain.